perfocraZe International Artist Residency
APPLICATION OPEN: 20TH MAY 2022
DEADLIN: 20TH AUGUST 2022
What happened at pIAR 2022? CHECK OUT OUR PHOTO SLIDES!
Applications for the 2023 Artist Residency Program are open from 20th MAY until 20th August 2022.
NOTE: The earlier you apply the higher your chances! Successful applicants will be notified from 25th August until 30th August 2022.
(works by artists in residence 2019, check HERE to see the right credits) Photo credit: Edward Onsoh, Nina Claire, Percy Nii Nortey
APPLICATION FORM BELLOW
READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU APPLY
perfocraZe International Artist Residency- [pIAR] is hosted by “crazinisT artisT studiO” located in the hub of Kumasi, the second largest city of Ghana and the capital of the Ashanti Kingdom. It is an interdisciplinary artists program, performance ‘hatchery’, incubator, laboratory and interactive platform aimed at promoting exchange between international and local artists, activists, researchers, curators and thinkers. pIAR was launched in 2018 after four years of its underground projects and has hosted 30 participants in its first edition, 'pIAR2019' (January to August) from over 15 countries. The second and the third edition (pIAR2020/pIAR2021) has been heavily affected by COVID19 travel restrictions and costs though the later has successfully hosted 25 artists since January 2021 from 13 countries.
pIAR is delighted to invite new applications from international and local artists to be considered for the 5th annual edition (pIAR 2023). Successful applicants will stay for a period of not less than 4 (four) weeks between 1st JANUARY 2023 and 31st AUGUST 2023 to develop their projects focusing on processes, collaborations, critical investigations, researches and experimentations. Participants in residence will be given the opportunities to share their experiences through discussions, research-workshops, presentations, art talks and lectures with Ghanaian artists, students and the local community.
(works by artists in residence 2020, check HERE to see the right credits) Photo credit: Edward Onsoh, Martin Toloku, Amudzi Mawuenya
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for regular updates
Mode of Application
- Deadline for application 20th August 2022
- NO application FEE! NO Residency FEE!
- Please read carefully before filling the form below with all the details required. We do not accept application submissions outside of the FORM.
- Prepare all documents before filling the form; the application processes CAN NOT be saved for later completion.
Copy and paste the following documents into the
appropriate text boxes provided in the form
- ARTIST STATEMENT
- MOTIVATION LETTER (STATEMENT OF PURPOSE)
- Your BIO and ARTIST STATEMENT will be used for publications, advertisement and in promotional materials. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO IMPRESS US WITH SENSITIVE INFORMATION YOU DO NOT WISH TO SHARE IN PUBLIC.
Make sure you provide a downloadable link to your portfolios (please
strictly use the format below)
- Images -JPG/JPEG
- Videos- MP4/ MOV
- CONFIRMATION- You should see this pop up as soon as your application has been successfully submitted: "Success! Your form was sent. pIAR Team will contact you in the next few days. If in 20 days you do not receive any email from us, please do follow up via email:
Read the TERMS and CONDITIONS carefully before you Apply
- pIAR is suitable for artists working in performance, videos, photography, film, interactive/performative installations, interventions, graffiti, curating, writing, storytelling and music/dance.
- pIAR IS A HOME FOR ALL: Participants must be willing and ready to coexist and tolerate people from diverse cultural identities, race, gender, age, sexuality, etc
- Participants should be open minded and willing to engage in critical conversations (pIAR is liberal and safe space, and does not welcome racism, homophobia, sexism or religious extremism)
- pIAR IS A HOPE FOR ARTISTIC & CULTURAL ADVENTURE: Participants must be willing and ready to take the challenges and responsibilities in navigating the socio-cultural complexities within Ghana, Kumasi and its environs.
- pIAR emerged as a matter of urgency and the need for a safe space for a communal learning. We therefore do not have "sophisticated" studios and equipments. If you have any special need kindly speak with the team before you apply
- pIAR is built on the notions and intersections of activism, radical empathy, performativity, documentation and archiving. NOTE: All participants and activities at pIAR are randomly documented for archival purpose, websites and social media promotions.
- Artists have the opportunity to live and collaborate with other artists from a wide range of disciplines, professional experience, ethnicities, and ages.
- NO stipend! NO per diem! Applicants are advised to seek external fundings.
- The residency runs monthly from JANUARY to AUGUST each year. (Participants must select at least 4 weeks convenient for their stay and must arrive by 1st day of the new month)
- Free accommodation (shared rooms and facilities)
- WiFi: Artists contribute to buy data/bundle for the router (optional if artists prefer to depend solely on their mobile data)
- Participants must be able to STAY for a minimum of 28 days.
- Participants should at least be able to communicate in English
- Participants must be able to COVER travel, visa, health insurance, cost of production and cost of living.
Some of the Participants have been supported/funded by:
- crazinisT artisT StudiO, Kumasi, Ghana
- Adam Mickiewicz Institute
- Stroom Den Haag
- Goethe-Institut Germany
- Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen: ifa
- Goethe-Institut Kamerun
- Alliance Francaise Accra, Ghana
- Alliance française Kumasi, Ghana
- Alliance Francaise, Arusha, Tanzania
- Secretaria de Cultura do Estado da Bahia, Brazil
- Canarias Crea, Spain
- Indiegogo Donors and individuals supporters, Worldwide
To support pIAR 2019-3019, please click DONATE/PLEDGE
SAVE pIAR: EMERGENCY CALL
pIAR is currently running a crowd funding to secure a new space with improved studio facilities. Kindly support by donating, sharing and broadcasting. No amount is too small to contribute to save pIAR. To learn more, click the link below: