perfocraZe International Artist Residency
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5th August 2023 (11:59PM GMT)
CHECK OUT THE PHOTO SLIDES OF PREVIOUS ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE!
Applications for the 2024 Artist Residency Program are open from 4th May until 5th of August 2023 (11:59PM GMT).
NOTE: The earlier you apply the higher your chances! Successful applicants will be notified by the 25th August 2023.
(works by artists in residence, check HERE to see the right credits)
APPLICATION FORM BELLOW
READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU APPLY
perfocraZe International Artist Residency- [pIAR] is founded by a Ghanaian trans-woman, Va-Bene Elikem Fiatsi, an international acclaimed multidisciplinary artivist, mentor, and a curator. pIAR is hosted by “crazinisT artisT studiO” located in the hub of Kumasi, the second largest city of Ghana and the capital of the Ashanti Kingdom. It is an interdisciplinary artists program, performance ‘hatchery’, incubator, laboratory and interactive platform aimed at promoting exchange between international and local artists, activists, researchers, curators and thinkers. pIAR prioritise bridging the gab between the arts and the people as well reuniting the queer community and the family. pIAR was launched in 2018 after four years of its underground projects and has hosted over 120 artists from more than 25 countries since 2019.
pIAR is delighted to invite new applications from international and local artists to be considered for the 6th annual edition (pIAR 2024). Successful applicants will stay for a period of not less than 4 (four) weeks between 1st JANUARY 2024 and 31st AUGUST 2024. Artists in residence are guided to develop their projects focusing on processes, collaborations, critical investigations, researches, networking and experimentations. Participants in residence will be given the opportunities to share their experiences through discussions, research-workshops, presentations, art talks and lectures with Ghanaian artists, students and the local community.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for regular updates
Mode of Application
- Please read carefully before FILLING THE FORM BELOW THIS PAGE We do not accept application submissions outside of the FORM.
- Deadline for application 5th August 2025
- NO application FEE! NO Residency FEE!
- NOTE: Any change of residency months after the selection process will attract an administrative fee of 50 EUROS (KINDLY CHECK YOUR AVAILABILITIES BEFORE APPLYING TO AVOID ANY FEES)
- Prepare all documents before filling the form; the application processes CAN NOT be saved for later completion.
Copy and paste the following documents into the appropriate text boxes provided in the
- BIO (Not more than 300 words)
- CV (Not more than 1000 words)
- ARTIST STATEMENT (Not more than 300 words)
- MOTIVATION LETTER/STATEMENT OF PURPOSE (Not more than 300 words)
- Your BIO and ARTIST STATEMENT will be used for publications, advertisement and in promotional materials. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO IMPRESS US WITH SENSITIVE INFORMATION YOU DO NOT WISH TO SHARE IN PUBLIC.
Make sure you provide a non-expiring downloadable link to your
portfolios Eg. Google drive, Dropbox, etc with open access or added password. (please strictly use the format below)
- Images -JPG/JPEG
- Videos- MP4/ MOV
- CONFIRMATION- You should see this pop up as soon as your application has been successfully submitted: "Success! Your form was sent. pIAR Team will contact you in the next few days. If in 60 days you do not receive any email from us, please do follow up via email:
- firstname.lastname@example.org to book appoint for help.
Read the TERMS and CONDITIONS carefully before you Apply
- pIAR is suitable for artists working in performance, 'artivism' (art+activism) videos, photography, film, interactive/performative installations, interventions, graffiti, murals, curating, writing, storytelling and music/dance who want to explore beyond their comforts and privileges or vulnerabilities.
- pIAR is a Communal space: There are several other beautiful and production focused artists residency in Ghana and other African countries, so do not apply to pIAR if you need a quiet environment, retreat centre, private time, silent studio and luxurious facilitates.
- pIAR IS A HOME FOR ALL: Participants must be willing and ready to coexist and share space with all people from diverse cultural identities, race, gender, age, sexuality, ethnicity etc.
- Participants should be open minded, anti discriminatory and willing to engage in critical conversations (pIAR is liberal and a safer space, and does not welcome any form of hate, violence, discriminations, racism, homophobia, sexism or religious extremism).
- pIAR IS A HOPE FOR ARTISTIC & CULTURAL ADVENTURE: Participants must be willing and ready to take the challenges and responsibilities in navigating the socio-cultural complexities within Ghana, Kumasi and its environs.
- pIAR emerged as a matter of urgency and the need for a safe space for a communal solidarity, radical empathy, learning, unlearning and deconstructing colonial histories and representations. Be mindful that there might be very heavy political and emotional discussions.
- pIAR is self-funded with low budget so we do not have "sophisticated" studios and equipments. If you have any special need kindly speak with the team before you apply
- pIAR is built on the notions and intersections of activism, radical empathy, performativity, documentation and archiving. NOTE: All participants and activities at pIAR are randomly documented for archival purpose, websites and social media promotions.
- Artists have the opportunity to live and collaborate with other artists from a wide range of disciplines, professional experience, ethnicities, cultures and ages.
- NO stipend! NO per diem! Applicants are advised to seek external fundings.
- Participants must be able to COVER their own travel, visa, health insurance, cost of production and cost of living.
- Ghanaian artists living and working in Ghana will be considered for free feeding during their stay.
- All international Artists will contribute (optional) about 300 EUR per month for food, covering breakfast, lunch and dinner daily during their stay. However, artists who do not wish to join the communal meal do not have to pay any amount.
- The residency runs monthly from JANUARY to AUGUST each year. (Participants must select at least 4 weeks convenient for their stay and must arrive by 1st day of the new month) (KINDLY CHECK YOUR AVAILABILITIES CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING TO AVOID A FEES 50 EUROS FOR CHANGING YOUR DATES AFTER THE SELECTIONS ARE CONFIRMED)
- Free accommodation (shared DORMS and facilities) Note that there is no private room at pIAR (except your private single bed)
- WiFi: Artists contribute to buy data/bundle for the router (optional if artists prefer to depend solely on their mobile data)
- Participants must be able to STAY for a minimum of 28 days.
- Participants should at least be able to communicate in English
YOU CAN CHECK IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE FUNDINGS BELOWW
Some of the Participants have been supported/funded by:
- crazinisT artisT StudiO, Kumasi, Ghana
- Adam Mickiewicz Institute
- Stroom Den Haag
- Goethe-Institut Germany
- Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen: ifa
- Goethe-Institut Kamerun
- Alliance Francaise Accra, Ghana
- Alliance française Kumasi, Ghana
- Alliance Francaise, Arusha, Tanzania
- Secretaria de Cultura do Estado da Bahia, Brazil
- Canarias Crea, Spain
- Slovak Arts Council.
- Indiegogo Donors and individuals supporters, Worldwide
To support pIAR 2019-3019, please click DONATE/PLEDGE
SAVE pIAR: EMERGENCY CALL
pIAR is currently running a crowd funding to secure a new space with improved studio facilities. Kindly support by donating, sharing and broadcasting. No amount is too small to contribute to save pIAR. To learn more, click the link below: