Open call for Participation in the Performance
The Return of the Slaves
Elmina Castle, Cape Coast, Ghana.
3rd-4th July 2015
Deadline for registering: 25th May 2015
"We are captives... conquered in the mind by these miraged chains of institutional struggles. Humanity has fallen apart and our neighbours are perceived objects of manipulations. Our reasoning and morals can only be governed by architectural doctrines that demolished the powers of our mind."
crazinisT artisT, in collaboration with the Department of Painting and Sculpture, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology ( KNUST ) , is calling for volunteers to participate in this performance project, which will take place within the Elmina Slave Dungeon from Friday, 3rd to Saturday 4th July 2015.
The Return of the Slaves will be a 12-hour durational performance staged overnight from 6:00 pm to 6:00am as an enactment of contemporary human slavery and the series of human violence within and outside Africa.
This performative engagement investigate the ostensible ‘Dungeons without Wall’ as a social process in our contemporary time. The performance evokes the unpleasant objectification of humanity as an institutional or private patronage and consumption of the body in relation to time, displacement and redefinition of cultural identity.
Who can apply?
- Applicants should be AT LEAST 18 years of age and NO OLDER than 55 years by 28th June 2015
- All are eligible to participate regardless of their protected characteristics: culture, race, genders, sexuality, disability, nationality, ethnicity and religion
- Participation is accepted from any kind of professions who are interested in the project. You don’t have to be an artist to apply
Please read carefully the following details of the performance before registering
Performance Description & Rules
- Participants will stay in the slave dungeon from Friday, 6:00pm to Saturday, 6:00am (12 hours overnight) with loosed chains on their hands and legs
- Participants are not to communicate verbally during the 12-hour stay but they will be free to move within the dungeon
- Participants will wear only red wrappers around their waist and on the breast (females).
- Participants are not to exit until the end the performance
- No physical pain will be inflicted
- The public will be able to view performance in the dungeon by lantern or torchlight only
Food and Drink
- Participants are not to eat any food during the 12-hour stay in the dungeon, they will be given only water
- Food will be provided to participants at the end of the 12-hour stay in the dungeon
Time outline for the event
Friday 3rd July to Saturday 4th July, 2015
3rd of July
- 9:00am - Participants arrival at Elmina castle
- 9:00am to 2:00pm - Final registration
- 2:00pm to 4:00pm - Short presentations and artists chat with participants
- 5:30pm - Opening ceremony
- 6:00pm - Participants will be locked in the dungeon
- 6:00pm to 9:00pm - Public Viewing I
- 9:00pm to 4:00am - No public viewing. Participants remain in the dungeon
4th of July
- 4:00am to 6:00am - Public Viewing II
- 6:00am - Participants will exit the dungeon and will be unchained
- 6:30am- Participants will be fed in the open to end the performance
To participate in The Return of the Slaves please click:
Key Sponsors and Supporters of the performance
- blaxTARLINES KUMASI: Project Space for Contemporary Art, KNUST, Ghana
GMMB (Ghana Museums and Monuments Board)