Mentorship program for 2022/2023
crazinisT artisT studiO
APPLICATION FORM BELLOW
READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU APPLY
crazinisT artisT studiO in collaboration with perfocraZe International Artist Residency is so delighted to announce the Mentorship program for 2022/2023
The program invites young and emerging artists from Ghana and other parts of the world to apply for a 12 months long mentorship.
6 (six) selected applicants will be mentored by Va-Bene Elikem Fiatsi also known as crazinisT artisT, (an international multidisciplinary artivist, curator and director of perfocraZe International Artist Residency). During the 12 months, the mentee will have the opportunity to meet ‘virtually’ or physically with other internationally renowned artists and mentors working across a variety of disciplines. Mentees are flexible to work remotely from their home studios and meet with their mentor from any part of the globe and/or in person depending on their locations, availability, accessibility and ability to travel to Kumasi. At the end of the 12 months program, all mentees will be invited to Kumasi, Ghana to complete their mentorship and exhibit their projects or processes developed.
Currently Ghana is experiencing a major blossoming in international recognition for creative artists. It is home for important festivals, artist-led initiatives, art spaces, studios, galleries and art institutions including crazinisT artisT studiO, perfocraZe International Artist Residency-pIAR, Nuku studio, SCCA, Red clay, blaxTARLINES, Terra Alter, Nubuke Foundation, ADA Gallery, Gallery 1957, Chale Wote Art Festival, and many more specialise in sophisticated level of education in decolonisation, contemporary art theory and practice. Since 2019 pIAR alone has hosted about 100 artists from across the world, representing myriad practices and artistic approaches. The aesthetic, freedom, and inspiring environment that Ghana has to offer is truly an inspiration to many creative souls.
Nevertheless, the mentorship program aims at creating opportunities for hybrid networks, recommendations and connecting mentees with other relevant practitioners and artists related to their fields of specialties.
Eligibility and Terms
- Artists must be between 18 and 40 years. There will be an exceptional consideration for those below 18 or above 40 years of age.
- Open to Artists of any Nationality, race, gender, sexuality etc. working and living anywhere in the world but priority shall be given to Ghanaians, Africans and African Diasporas. Although it is a non-gendered program, queer creatives will be highly considered.
- Artists living in Ghana will be visited in their studio by a group of artists in residence, visiting artists and their mentor at least once every two months.
- The mentorship is totally free. However, mentees are responsible for any cost of production, materials and travel expenses if invited to Kumasi during their mentorship. pIAR will be glad to support mentees in applying for external funding.
- International mentees will be invited to Ghana after 6 months of their mentorship or at the end of the 12 months program to meet with their colleagues in person, collaborate and show their works in a group exhibition.
- Artists must be ready and willing to work with Va-Bene Elikem Fiatsi and meet regularly as scheduled.
- Artists must be available for monthly presentation via zoom, Facebook, Instagram, skype, or any other virtual platform they may prefer to share their researches, processes and progress as part of their studio visits and public presentation.
What does the the mentorship program provide
- Free one year (12 months) mentorship for a maximum of 6 selected emerging artists.
- Free consultation and lectures
- Network between mentees and international artists in residence and non resident artists.
- Free curatorial group and solo exhibition
- Recommendation for art festivals, galleries, museums, residencies and any other art spaces that may be relevant to mentees for their practice.
Frequently asked questions:
- Can we apply as a group or duo artists?
No, the mentorship program focuses on individual practice.
- Would the program provide mentees with accommodation for the entire duration of 12 months?
No! Mentees are accommodated between 1 to 8 weeks if invited to exhibit, present or develop a site specific work in Kumasi. There will be exceptional considerations for those who may need to stay for 12 months due to financial or family issues or political situations that may prevent them from working at home or in their cities and countries.
How to Apply:
Read carefully and fill the application form.
Prepare and upload all documents as required eg. CV, Bio, Portraits, project proposal, motivation letter, images and videos
Contact the program director if you have any difficulties in filling the application form or need any further information.
For more information click the bulletins
- Bio of the Mentor (Va-Bene Elikem Fiatsi)
- CV of the Mentor
- PerfocraZe International Artist Residency
- pIAR 2022 selected Artists
- pIAR on Instagram
- Va-Bene Elikem Fiatsi (crazinisT artisT) on Instagram
1st January 2022
1st February 2022
Announcement of successful applicants
15th February 2022
1st March 2022 -1st March 2023
crazinisT artisT studiO is a nonprofit interdisciplinary incubator and a practical performance research space which started in 2011 as a personal and solo artist’s space for painting and later transitioned into multidisciplinary studio practice through performances, videos, photography, installations and films. The year 2015 marked the first international and cross disciplinary collaborations opening with 68 international participants in ‘the Return of the Slaves’, (12 hours durational performance in the slave dungeon of Elmina Castle) which was supported by the Ghana Museums and Monument Board (GMMB), Elmina Castle, blaxTARLINES and the Department of Painting and Sculpture, KNUST.
For more information: READ
perfocraZe International Artist Residency- [pIAR] is hosted by “crazinisT artisT studiO” located in the hub of Kumasi, the second largest city of Ghana and the capital of the Ashanti Kingdom. It is an interdisciplinary artists program, performance ‘hatchery’, incubator, laboratory and interactive platform aimed at promoting exchange between international and local artists, activists, researchers, curators and thinkers. pIAR was launched in 2018 after four years of its underground projects and has hosted 30 participants in its first edition, 'pIAR2019' (January to August) from over 15 countries. The second and the third edition (pIAR2020/pIAR2021) has been heavily affected by COVID19 travel restrictions and costs though the later has successfully hosted 25 artists since January 2021 from 13 countries.
Check the works of some of the perfocraZe International Artists in Residence
Updates! You can find our activities on the following social media.
Mode of Application
- Call for application: 1st January 2022
- Deadline: 1st February 2022
- NO application FEE! NO Mentorship FEE!
- Please read carefully before filling the form below with all the details required. We do not accept application submissions outside of the FORM.
- Prepare all documents before filling the form; the application processes CAN NOT be saved for later completion.
Copy and paste the following documents into the
appropriate text boxes provided in the form
- BIO (Max 300 words)
- ARTIST STATEMENT (Max 300 words)
- MOTIVATION LETTER (STATEMENT OF PURPOSE) (Max 300 words)
- Project Proposal (Max 600 words)
- Your BIO and ARTIST STATEMENT will be used for publications, advertisement and in promotional materials. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO IMPRESS US WITH SENSITIVE INFORMATION YOU DO NOT WISH TO SHARE IN PUBLIC.
Make sure you provide a downloadable link to you portfolio (please
strictly use the format below)
- Images -JPG/JPEG
- Videos- MP4/ MOV
- CONFIRMATION- You should see this pop up as soon as your application has been successfully submitted: "Success! Your form was sent. pIAR will contact you in the next few days. If in 10 days you do not receive any email from us, please do follow up via email: